Ready to start digging into Shakeology 🙂 – This is the part I love-I’m such a nerd for the sciency stuff. LOL Sorry this is such a long one but I think it’s REALLY important to make it clear just WHY this shake is so incredible and why I have been drinking it every single day for years. First tho, I think it’s important to quickly review what shako is NOT
SO SHAKEOLOGY IS NOT
🚫NOT “Just” a protein shake
🚫NOT A “get skinny quick diet” shake
🚫NOT an excuse to ignore daily healthy foods
🚫NO Fillers – NO gmo’s from sources of corn – NO msg
🚫NO Gluten – NO Soy – A Vegan Line with NO Milk
🚫NO Artificial Ingredients – NO Preservatives
In a nutshell SHAKEOLOGY IS a huge dose of dense nutrition that supports the entire body with WHOLE FOOD nutrition and part of an overall healthy lifestyle….This is why it’s unique!
➡️➡️➡️As a base, there are 5 proprietary ingredient blends in Shako that make it so special:
1 – proprietary protein blend,
2 – proprietary super-fruit/antioxidant blend,
3 – proprietary super-green/phytonutrient blend,
4 – proprietary adaptogen blend,
5 – proprietary pre and probiotic/digestive enzyme blend.
I’m going to review each blend with you so you can see why they are important and then you will see a section on the “everyday” Shakeology ingredients
1️⃣PROPRIETARY PROTEIN BLEND:
Which consists of: Whey (not in vegan), Pea, Sacha Inchi, Chia, Flax, Quinoa.
Lets break this down just a bit to understand the importance of protein. Protein is made up of amino acids, these are the body’s primary building blocks. Muscles, bones, hair, skin, internal organs etc are all made of these amino acids. This is why proper protein is so important to the body (INCLUDING our Thyroid!!!). It’s how the body rebuilds and repairs muscles and tissues day in and day out. You also use protein to make enzymes and hormones among many other things.
PROTEIN AND OUR THYROID:
A solid amount of good protein is needed in order for our pituitary gland to produce TSH. TSH is important bc it’s the thyroid’s signal to actually create thyroid hormones. No TSH, no thyroid hormones!!
Long story short, our body is made of protein and so we need to consume it to stay healthy and strong. The particular blend in Shakeology uses a variety of quality protein sources that you can see above.
2️⃣ PROPRIETARY SUPER-FRUIT/ANTIOXIDANT BLEND:
Which consists of: Camu-Camu, Acerola Cherry, Bilberry, Lycium Berry (Goji Berry), Green Tea, Luo Han Guo, Pomegranate, Rose Hips, Vitamins A, C, E.
Ok next up on our 5 proprietary blends is our fruit/antioxidant blend. Many of these fruits you will likely be familiar with and they are pretty awesome. I LOVE THIS ONE! It’s a fun one – Get Ready as we head back into science class 😂😂😂
….When you study the body you will find that many of our vital processes depend on chemical reactions. This chemical reaction process is called the oxidation-reduction reaction or REDOX for short.
🔬🔬LETS STEP INTO SCIENCE CLASS
Woo Hoo!! I’m such a nerd for this stuff LOL
➡️➡️FIRST: Understanding REDOX: Oxidation = loss of electrons & Reduction = gain of electrons. Oxidation and Reduction are besties and work together to convert our food into energy through this redox process. Easy enough right?
➡️➡️SECOND: Oxidative stress: This occurs when an oxygen molecule splits into single atoms with unpaired electrons. (I can’t help but think of divorce 🙄) These single atoms are called free radicals and they set the body out of balance when they can’t be detoxified or neutralized, which it takes antioxidants to do. WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN? Well bc electrons like to be in pairs, so naturally these atoms dig through the body to seek out other electrons so they can become a pair again. Well yay right? UMMM Nope not so much – Once formed these highly reactive radicals can start a chain reaction, like dominoes. The big danger comes from the damage they can do when they react with our cells. Cells may function poorly or even die in the process. 😬😬😬
➡️➡️THIRD: The good news: to prevent free radical damage the body has a defense system of antioxidants. Antioxidants are very closely involved in the prevention of this cellular damage. This is super important bc cellular damage is the common pathway for cancer, aging, and a variety of diseases…. Still with me so far?
➡️➡️FOURTH: The bad news: The body is under constant attack from this oxidative stress and promotion of the evil free radicals (diet, No exercise or too much exercise, alcohol, smoking, stress in general, charred foods, damaged liver or gut health, infections, lack of sleep etc 😲😲😲 OMG right). All of which can promote free radicals, causing an imbalance between free radicals and our antioxidant levels. So we need antioxidants to help combat this process and bring balance back to fight free radical damage and helping support a healthy immune system.
✅✅Vitamins A (beta carotene), C, and E are known antioxidants and the body can’t create these micronutrients so they must be supplied in the diet.
✅✅Also really important to know is the particular superfoods above that are in Shakeology have been specifically selected because of their antioxidant properties.
Ok Class Dismissed 😂😂😂
3️⃣ PROPRIETARY SUPER-GREEN/ PHYTONUTRIENT BLEND:
Which consists of: Moringa, Chlorella, Spirulina, Spinach, Kale.
You will be blown away by this one and our thyroid……
Phytonutrients are specific to plants and they benefit both us and animals too actually. They are the reason for the beautiful colors of all of our fruits and vegetables.
Phytonutrients are the chemicals found in plants – they actually help protect the plant from threats such as bugs, the suns rays and disease. Phytonutrients aren’t a necessity for keeping you alive, unlike our vitamins and minerals but, with that said, when you consume phytonutrients, they can help prevent disease and keep your body working properly. Research has shown that the compounds found in these plants are able to reduce the oxidative damage to our cells that I talked about above when I reviewed REDOX. So altho they aren’t required they sure do pack a punch for our health.
💯💯Not to make this particular post even longer LOL BUT I want to give special attention to 2 of the above nutrients listed because not long ago I saw a connection to them being helpful for thyroid health and it caught my attention so I researched them and I was truly amazed overall so I wanted to share.
Spirulina and Chlorella: WHAT ARE THEY?
They are a blue-green algae plant that are found in freshwater. What makes them so special is Chlorophyll, which is the green pigment found in these plants. Chlorophyll is vital for photosynthesis, which is the process of harnessing energy and it’s a process all plants have and one of the very best reasons to eat our green veggies. However, no plant is as rich in Chlorophyll as these 2 forms of algae.
WHY ARE THEY SO SPECIAL?
1.) They detox heavy metals found in our bodies from foods and exposures
2.) They help eliminate candida, which is a gut bacterial imbalance
3.) Shown to help prevent cancer
4.) Lowers cholesterol AND blood pressure
5.) Gives us a nice bit of added energy naturally
6.) Helps improve weightloss and decreases fat stores
7.) Shown to help curb hunger
8.) Improves sinus issues
😍😲😍😲- Pretty cool right??
It’s loaded with easily digestible amino acids (which are the building blocks to our cells) and it has more beta carotene than carrots. It activates the immune system and protects cells from damage. This amazing little algae plant shows amazing help with cholesterol and other issues related to stroke and heart disease.
This particular algae is amazing for cleansing the liver and bowels, clear out toxins and assists with clearing skin. It improves gut flora which will improve digestion (I can attest to this one LOL – literally “THE” reason I started using Shakeology in the first place). New studies also show it can assist with muscle pain as well.
In general, Dark leafy greens are a fantastic source of phytonutrients so it’s no surprise some of the best of those greens are listed above.
4️⃣ PROPRIETARY ADAPTOGEN BLEND:
Which consists of: Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Cordyceps, Maca, Maitake, Reishi, Schisandra.
Moving on – I’m getting there LOL. I hope you find this interesting. I know some are probably blah blah blah but does it taste good lol (Yes btw) ha but I think this is the important stuff. If you are going to make an investment into your health you should know what it is and why right? – These are things that led me to my decision to give it a try 2.5 years ago. I think it’s important you know them too 🙂
Adaptogens are exactly what they sound like they would be…. they have be used for centuries and are known for helping the body adapt and respond to the effects of stress. They are very well known in other cultures and pretty spectacular in how they can help the body cope and to improve the health of our adrenal system.
Just to make sure there is not confusion – these herbs don’t alter mood in any way, instead, they help the body function more fluently during times of stress.
💯💯This is another one that I want to point out 2 in particular because they are shown to be great for thyroid health actually. Ashwagandha and maca.
I’ve found that it benefits the hypothalamus and pituitary, which are where our signals begin for our thyroid to create T4. There are even more benefits behind this amazing adaptogen.
1. ) It works with your body, not against it – I’ve found that most adaptogens work with the endocrine system (hormones) to bring you back in balance. Ashwagandha has been used in Indian (Ayurvedic) tradition to help with issues linked to hormone imbalance – including stress, anxiety & metabolism.
2.) Science shows that it has a positive effect on hormones – Ashwagandha has been shown to increase the amount of hormones secreted by the thyroid gland. It’s actually unknown why this happens Here is a publication to review if you would like. http://www.altmedrev.com/publications/5/4/334.pdf
3.) Good for adrenal support – This tells us that #1 it is a true adaptogen, since most adaptogens are good at supporting the adrenals and #2 it confirms its ability to work with the entire endocrine/hormone system. Just remember ashwagandha isn’t a cure for your adrenals or your thyroid. If you keep stress high your adrenals will never recover, but it’s a great step to helping the thyroid (and adrenals).
Maca is from Peru and is traditionally used by Peruvians as a dietary supplement bc of the effects on energy and mood, fertility, improving sexual desire and decreasing anxiety. 😲
Here is another article for more info if you would like to review more. (learn more here)
1.) Maca seems to stimulate the hypothalamus and pituitary gland, which again are the signals the thyroid needs to create the hormones T4 and T3. to better balance the entire endocrine system.
2.) Maca is also known for contributing to the improvement of the symptoms of PMS and Menopause. It’s also shown to help with PCOS by controlling estrogen levels.
3.) Some recent trials on maca have shown that it has a positive effect on energy, stamina, and mood. Solid energy levels are related to having lower levels of anxiety and depression, both of which maca has been shown to help with.
I’ve shown you quite a bit of science so far regarding the ingredients in Shakeology, but this particular combo of nutrients is def a beautiful blend that is geared more towards the holistic approaches and ancient wisdom. It’s all about promoting balance in the body.
5️⃣ PROPRIETARY PRE AND PROBIOTIC DIGESTIVE ENZYME BLEND:
Which consists of: Yacon Root, Chicory Root, Bacillus coagulans , Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Glucoamylase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Invertase.
Ok Finally our final blend that makes Shakeology so special 🙂
To help outline things a bit I want to explain that your gut is filled with bacteria….some good and very much needed and some bad that kill off the good guys and cause all kinds of issues……
Thought I would clarify too that PRObiotics are the good bacteria bugs that help our digestive system -they help get rid of the harmful buggers. On the other hand, PREbiotics are essentially food for the PRObiotics 🙂 YUMMY! The above bacteria bacillus coagulans is one of the digestible forms of good bacteria and is a PRObiotic. Yacon root and Chicory root are PREbiotics and having both is amazing for us in particular bc much of what we deal with is in the gut and this can help get us back on track and support these cute this lifeforms that live in our bellys 🙂 🐛🐛🐛
Enzymes are needed to help us break down our food so the nutrients can be absorbed and used by the body. The digestive enzymes that are part of Shakeology are there to help us with this breakdown process, which then helps with nutrient absorption. 📣📣📣FOR EXAMPLE LISTEN UP LACTOSE INTOLERANT GALS!! Lactase as an example of an enzyme found in our gut that helps with the breakdown of milk products. Those who are lactose intolerant generally lack the enzyme or enough of the enzyme to help with this process thus leading to the intolerance. 🙂 Amylase and invertase help break down carbs fyi. Basically the above list with “ase” in the word is one of these enzymes.
DID YOU KNOW: your saliva actually contains amylase 🤔 so the digestive process actually starts there 😲😲😲Pretty cool huh!
Shakeology Ingredients – The Everyday Ingredients
Even though I call these “everyday ingredients”, they are still hard to understand. You may have seen these before in other foods, but here is what they do and why they are important for your health.
- Folate (L-methylfolate) (50% of DV): L-methylfolate is the active form of the nutrient that is easier for the body to use. Folate has many benefits including: Stroke reduction, Sperm Quality (in males, helps reduce chromosomal defects in sperm), Macular Degeneration (In Fact, a study was completed where women have reduced potential for degeneration by 34.7%).
- Biotin (30% of DV): Also know as Vitamin H. Biotin’s primary purpose is to help break down fatty cells and help metabolism (fat burner, baby!)
- Pantothenic acid (50% of DV): This ingredient (Vitamin B5) helps with oxygen utilization efficiency. What does that mean? It helps fuel oxygen to your muscles, which reduces muscle soreness and aches.
- Phosphorous (25% of DV): Having this ingredient daily can help strengthen tooth enamel. This leads to stronger teeth and prevention of early tooth decay.
- Iodine (35% of DV): This ingredient is widely known to help with your thyroid. But not only that, iodine is beneficial for breast, stomach, brain, and other important tissues. Not having enough (or having TOO much) can cause problems for these vital tissues (source here).
- Magnesium (20% of DV): magnesium helps regulates blood sugar, and keeps heart rhythm running, strong bones, and your immune system in check.
- Zinc (40% of DV): this is a great ingredient and supplement you should always have. Zinc is beneficial for your immune system. Better than that, it helps decrease the acceleration of skin and muscle aging. Not only that, it can be beneficial for your digestive trac (with proven abilities to reduce and eliminate diarrhea episodes, according to Bhutta, 2000).
- Copper (40% of DV): not having enough copper in your diet can lead towards deficiencies such as osteoporosis, infections, and glucose problems. Copper ingests into your liver and spreads through your bloodstream to regulate your blood sugar and benefit your bones and glucose levels significantly.
- Manganese (100% of DV): a beautiful ingredient that helps your body properly digest and use the other ingredients like zinc, copper, and iron better. Not only that, there have been studies that show that manganese can help treat things like: epilepsy, asthma, diabetes, Schizophrenics, Rheumatoid arthritis, Multiple sclerosis, heart disease, and more. A powerful ingredient that gives you 100% DV in one serving of Shakeology.
- Chromium (50% of DV): Chromium enhances the production of insulin in your body. Insulin helps with the metabolism and storage of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in your body. This in turn can help regulate potential for diabetes and speed up that metabolism a bit.
- Molybdenum (40% of DV): Similar to phosphorus, this ingredient helps strengthen tooth enamel and helps prevent tooth decay. Smile my friends, it’s a helpful ingredient to have in your diet!
As you can see, even the “basic” foundation of Shakeology Ingredients boasts some good benefits. So the big question is: ok great, why can’t we just eat healthy and get these? You can! The only thing you should consider is the price. To match the serving of all of these ingredients in everyday food will cost you more than a $4.33 serving of Shakeology.
The ingredients as a whole:
I gave you a breakdown of each of our specific blends and why each one mattered. I want to give you a full view of all the ingredients together so you can truly see the big picture. Sadly when we look at most labels of “healthy food” its still loaded with ingredients we can’t pronounce and made in a factory. These ingredients are from where nature intended – the earth.
There is a reason Shakeology fulfills the body and it’s bc of what we find inside…..
Click for Larger View
Worried about the cost?
How To Make Shakeology Cost Effective Every Month
- Cut out soda and replace with water (how much would you save?)
- Cut out eating out for lunch and use Shako instead
- Reduce or remove your vitamin dose. If you eat well and drink it daily then your day is loaded with vitamins and minerals
- Consider the cost of medicines from being ill and Dr visits. What would you save if you rarely or never got sick?
- Most find they snack less so less cost in junk or snacky foods
Things I DO NOT buy:
- I DO NOT buy bottled water. Bottled water is so expensive and the plastic isn’t great exposure anyway. I have a filter and make my own bottled water.
- I DO NOT buy fancy coffee drinks. Terrible for you anyway!
- I DO NOT buy gum, candy, cookies, any snackie things, or desserts. It wouldn’t make any sense to care enough about my health that I buy the best shake on the planet to nourish myself with and then turn around and tear down my health by filling my body with junk food.
- I DO NOT eat out very often. As a rule of thumb, I buy good food from the store and make good meals at home.
- I DO NOT subscribe to TV channels. We can watch so many things online – waste of money
- I DO NOT have a fancy phone or expensive plan. Budgeting is tough and people are often surprised how much you can save in this area!
- I DO NOT have a gym membership. Instead, I work out right in my living room, at the touch of the remote, with in home workouts created by some of the best trainers on the planet. Plus, it costs me ZERO gallons of gas getting to and from my workouts. Check this out for the details
- I DO NOT buy extra vitamins and minerals. Because Shakeology delivers dense superfood ingredients, and with my healthy eating strategy I do not need additional supplements.
Why I think Shakeology Is a Great Deal
- Shakeology helps curb my junk food cravings.* Because it’s so nutritionally dense, Shakeology gives my body what it needs in a form that can be easily absorbed. Plus, it’s so incredibly delicious that it feels like I’m having a treat. It’s the best of both worlds!
- Shakeology is soooooooo convenient. I can put it anywhere in my day.
- Shakeology is packed with superfoods. I used to buy separate superfoods to add to my smoothies. Like maca which alone was $30 a bag! Then I realized that I was spending way more on my separate superfoods per month, even from discount sources, than I would spend on Shakeology.
Compared to what I used to spend, I’m actually saving money by purchasing Shakeology!
Why My Body Loves This Stuff
Before becoming a Shakeology fan, when I looked into the ingredients of other shakes there was always something in them that made it a compromise for my health goals.
I have a health issue, among other things, and there are just so many ingredients I have to watch out for. Shakeology is the ONLY shake that is filled with ingredients that are ALL the ones that I can have. I drink the vegan flavors and have been thriving on them for over 2.5 years now!
During the time that I thought I could not afford Shakeology, even though I was very impressed with it, I still thought I didn’t need it.
It wasn’t until I began drinking it that I realized what a treasure it truly is. And I have never wavered in my conviction that I will always drink Shakeology. And yes, I drink it every single day. – NON- NEGOTIABLE!!!